A Fair Review of the Top .NET CMS Platforms - Sitecore
< Back to Main Article
|SITECORE CORPORATION A/S
|Market Position: Mid-Market to Enterprise
|Licence Model: Proprietary
||Current Version: Sitecore XP 8.2
|Base Price: Starts at $20,000 for perpetual or $1,100/month for consumption. Enterprise-sized licensing with Sitecore’s full experience marketing feature starts at $200,000 for perpetual or $11,000/month for consumption.
|Founded In: 2001
||CEO: Michael Seifert (15-years)
|NA Offices: Toronto ON, Sausalito CA and Manchester NH
||NA Partner Network: 417 – as of Jan 2017
|Hosting Type: On-premise and SaaS
||Closest Comparison: Episerver
|Free Trial Version? No (request a demo only)
||Certified Training? Yes
Sitecore is a customer experience management company that provides web content management and multichannel marketing automation software. The company was founded in Copenhagen by Michael Seifert in 2001.
The Sitecore Experience Platform manages content, supplies contextual intelligence, and automates communications, at scale. It empowers marketers to deliver content in the context of how customers have engaged with their brand, across every channel, in real time. This context marketing is the only way to manage meaningful customer experiences that delight audiences, build loyalty, and drive revenue. Sitecore is used by more than 4,900 of the world's leading brands—including American Express, Carnival Cruise Lines, easyJet, and L'Oréal.
Sitecore has been well-placed in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for the past seven years, running neck and neck with Adobe in the ‘Leaders’ quadrant, for the top spot in Web Content Management.
Comments from Sitecore
“Sitecore XP 8.2 will introduce both Sitecore Experience Accelerator for new clients and Express Migrations—a streamlined toolset for our existing customers and partners”
“This product paves the way for an accelerated time to market combined with increased adoption of the platform's capabilities, while continuing to support the agility and scale our partners will need as they grow.”
“Sitecore is a global leader in experience management software that enables brands to interact with consumers in the context of their individual experiences over time, in order to achieve true one-to-one personalization. Not only does the Sitecore Experience Platform manage content and supplies contextual intelligence, it also automates communications with consumers, at scale.”
Sitecore is one of the earliest vendors to focus on the customer journey, and they continue to focus on the 360 degree customer view with Sitecore Experience Platform. While they do offer some limited prebuilt controls, this is traditionally a developer’s platform and custom development is needed to implement a website solution. They have a very customizable system architecture that supports multi-site and multi-lingual websites. Deployment between environments is managed via packages which can include any asset managed within Sitecore or on disk. The granular access rights and workflow capabilities allow for managing complex governance models.
- Sitecore’s platform is built from the ground up, and combines web content management with marketing automation, email marketing, social media, e-commerce, optimization, and analytics, into one unified platform.
- Where Version 7 had been about technical upgrades, Version 8 is all about usability and business user experience. Sitecore XP 8.2 builds on the core functionality and usability of the newly designed Experience Platform 8 and introduces key tools to help its growing customer base quickly take advantage of crucial digital marketing capabilities.
- Sitecore 8.2 introduced a new product, Sitecore Experience Accelerator, which allows marketers to rapidly create new web and mobile web experiences using a drag-and-drop wireframe toolset with more than 80 pre-built components. In addition, 8.2 brings in the beginning of migration tools to existing customers at no charge, to help reduce time and workloads associated with transferring data from older Sitecore versions.
- Numerous improvements have been made across the platform including advanced filtering and funnel analysis in Path analyzer, data source management and content item organization in Experience Editor, and segmentation that is more accessible and easier to understand.
- Debuting in 8.2 is a next-generation publishing service based on Microsoft .NET core technologies. The new service augments existing capabilities and can publish items faster.
- Recent changes to Sitecore’s pricing model caused some confusion for both integration partners and their customer base.
- Some customers that deployed Sitecore Experience Platform Version 8 reported a problem-plagued release when it was made generally available. Version 8.1, released in October 2015, was generally regarded as stable, though the upgrade typically required additional service costs.
Click on the logos above to link to individual vendor reviews or download a PDF of all the top .NET CMS platforms reviewed
< Back to Main Article
WCM Advisory & Support Services
For more information on maximizing your existing WCM system, or for assistance in selecting a new WCM solution, visit our Advisory & Support Services page. Let us help you to prevent problems and maximize a return on investment by guiding you through all the project phases, from analysis and requirements, through to implementation, deployment, and ongoing maintenance.