A Fair Review of the Top .NET CMS Platforms - DNN
< Back to Main ArticleNEW Updated 2018 DNN Review >
|Market Position: SMB to Mid-Market
|Licence Model: Proprietary
||Current Version: Evoq Content 9.0
|Base Price: From $8,000 per year, and can scale up past $100,000.
|Founded In: 2006
||CEO: Navin Nagiah (8-years)
|NA Offices: San Mateo, California and Langley, British Columbia.
||NA Partner Network: 12 – as of Jan 2017
|Hosting Type: On-premise and SaaS
||Closest Comparison: Progress Sitefinity
|Free Trial Version? Yes
||Certified Training? Yes
Originally co-founded in 2006 by Shaun Walker, Joe Brinkman, Nik Kalyani and Scott Willhite, DNN provides software that makes designing, building and managing feature-rich sites fast, easy and cost-effective. Thousands of organizations like Bank of America, Aetna, True Value Hardware, Whirlpool, the US Department of Defense, and Sports Direct use DNN’s Content Management System.
In addition to their commercial CMS, DNN is also the steward of the DotNetNuke Open Source Project, a free platform that is intended to allow management of website content without much technical knowledge, and to be extensible through a large number of third-party apps to provide functionality not included in the core modules.
DNN has two commercial editions with increased functionality and technical support. The Professional edition was recently renamed Evoq Content and the Enterprise edition was renamed Evoq Content: Enterprise. Evoq 9, released in December 2016, includes a key technology called Liquid Content, a new content-as-a-service platform delivered as a microservice via DNN's Liquid Content Cloud, which, in turn, runs on Microsoft Azure's public cloud.
Comments from DNN
“We make our products drop-dead easy for marketers and business professionals. We design our products in such a way that customers go from "buy to use" in weeks and from "use to value" in months. We strive to offer the best ROI of any software that caters to marketers”.
“Evoq is the head that's attached to the headless CMS of Liquid Content. Customers will receive all of the content delivery and presentation features they've come to expect, along with visualizers and other new features”.
DNN is open-source and offers both free and paid editions. There is a very extensive developer community, where you can find thousands of available modules. There are hundreds of DNN themes available for free and purchase. DNN offers extensive documentation covering all aspects of the system, and the popularity of DNN means there is a wealth of support available.
- DNN offers an efficient way of creating and managing content pages without the need for IT assistance, to a degree. The software offers a host of professionally made, reusable layouts, so that you can create a page in just a few clicks.
- Extensibility seems to be DNN’s focus, with an open API and a full commitment to backwards compatibility. In addition, DNN Store provides one of the largest collections of commercially supported, third-party modules, from hundreds of vendors.
- DNN delivers individual features as a service, delivered from our Microsoft Azure cloud. This provides a multi-tenant SaaS capability for customers, whether their WCM is on-premises or in the cloud.
- DNN’s multi-site management is architected in its platform's core. It's not a bolt-on, like you find in other WCM systems. You can manage hundreds or thousands of sites from a single instance of Evoq.
- DNN does not have as many native marketing capabilities as their competitors. Their approach is to provide built-in connectors to other technology products such as Marketo and MailChimp.
- Although the process of upgrading can be problematic at times, DNN’s support staff can usually figure out the problem and fix the issue.
Click on the logos above to link to individual vendor reviews or download a PDF of all the top .NET CMS platforms reviewed
< Back to Main Article
WCM Advisory & Support Services
For more information on maximizing your existing WCM system, or for assistance in selecting a new WCM solution, visit our Advisory & Support Services page. Let us help you to prevent problems and maximize a return on investment by guiding you through all the project phases, from analysis and requirements, through to implementation, deployment, and ongoing maintenance.