A Fair Review of the Top .NET CMS Platforms - Episerver
< Back to Main Article
|Market Position: Mid-Market to Enterprise
|Licence Model: Proprietary
||Current Version: v.10
|Base Price: On-Premise – $40,000 to $100,000 / SaaS – $50,000 to $150,000
|Founded In: 1994
||CEO: Mark Duffell (2-years)
|NA Offices: Nashua, New Hampshire
||NA Partner Network: 54 – as of Jan 2017
|Hosting Type: On-premise and SaaS
||Closest Comparison: Sitecore
|Free Trial Version? No (request a demo only)
||Certified Training? Yes
Episerver (aka Epi), a provider of a single platform to manage digital content, commerce, and marketing was founded in 1994 in Stockholm, Sweden by Mikael Runhem. Epi powers over 30,000 websites and has an estimated 8,800 customers worldwide including Reebok, VISA, Pizza Hut, Electrolux, Greenpeace, IBM, UNICEF, and Superdry.
Episerver has locations in Nashua, New Hampshire, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Germany, the UK, the Netherlands, Poland, Spain, UAE, South Africa, Australia, Singapore, and Vietnam.
In January 2015, Ektron and Episerver merged under the Epi brand and continue to support and extend the Ektron platform. In August 2016, Episerver acquired Peerius, an omnichannel commerce personalization company. Epi is also currently listed in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant and in Forrester’s Wave for WCM.
At the time of this review, their latest versions were - Core CMS 9.10; CMS UI 9.7, Commerce 9.17; Find 12.0. Episerver is on a continuous release cycle, so customers see product updates and enhancements every two weeks.
Comments from Episerver
“Episerver is the only company to provide a unified platform to help agile, mid-market organizations to smartly manage digital content, commerce and marketing, using the cloud.”
“We do that so that they can deliver these really differentiated experiences for their customers, wherever they engage, and they can do it fast. And that’s what I think the Episerver proposition is, rapid time to value which is so important in the mid-market, you don’t have the luxury of the one year, 7 figure implementation, you need to get results quick and that’s what we do.”
Episerver is 100% ASP.NET MVC based. It offers an all-in-one product with CMS, eCommerce and digital marketing features. There are many add-ons available, and you will likely need to install some basic add-ons for even the simplest website. There is an active developer forum that makes finding support and tips from others easy. Epi has a very customizable system architecture that supports multi-site architecture and web farms.
- Episerver’s ease of use and intuitive UI, coupled with their rich list of features, makes it a favorite amongst .NET editors and developers.
- Very few vendors offer a seamless content and commerce platform, which sets Epi apart in this review.
- Although they are fairly late in offering a packaged cloud service, their Digital Experience Cloud is impressive, with a full stack wrapped up in a pay as you go service model. Worth a deep-dive if cloud is at the top of your mid-market WCM requirements.
- Focused on what they feel is an underserved area of the market, the upper mid-market to lower enterprise.
- Recently made major investments to address enhanced personalization.
- Although Episerver has recently ramped up their North American partner channel, finding experienced integration partners is still a challenge, along with a lack of third-party and peer support in North America.
- Still thought of as only a content management system, out in the marketplace.
- Episerver customers have highlighted the need for further enhancements to the Digital Experience Hub (from Epi's earlier merger with Ektron) as a signiﬁcant priority.
Click on the logos above to link to individual vendor reviews or download a PDF of all the top .NET CMS platforms reviewed
< Back to Main Article
WCM Advisory & Support Services
For more information on maximizing your existing WCM system, or for assistance in selecting a new WCM solution, visit our Advisory & Support Services page. Let us help you to prevent problems and maximize a return on investment by guiding you through all the project phases, from analysis and requirements, through to implementation, deployment, and ongoing maintenance.