A Fair Review of the Top .NET CMS Platforms - Kentico
< Back to Main ArticleNEW Updated 2018 Kentico Review >
Kentico was founded by Petr Palas in June 2004, has been growing organically without any external funding or loans since then, and has been profitable year after year, according to a Kentico spokesperson. Kentico has over 1,000 digital agency partners listed worldwide, and powers more than 25,000 websites across 100 countries. Customers include Gibson, Twinings, Ingram Micro, Mazda, Kingspan, Hunter Fan, Starbucks, and Allergan.
Kentico is a content management, eCommerce, and digital marketing platform, all in one. This product can be deployed in the cloud and offers tiered solutions, including CMS Base, CMS Ultimate and an Enterprise Marketing Solution (EMS).
In September 2016, Kentico was finally named as a Challenger in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for WCM. Kentico also recently launched Version 10, which features a long list of functional improvements all focused on getting digital marketing jobs done faster and more efficiently.
Comments from Kentico
“Our goal is always to democratize digital marketing technology. We really believe that a company’s success should not be limited by the amount of money they can invest in the technology, that they can afford to buy so I would say the benefits of Kentico EMS platforms are the fact that we allow clients to avoid cost and complexity that is typically associated with enterprise software. It allows them to acquire the enterprise abilities and scalability at a mid-market price, it allows marketers to manage customer experience from the start to finish, from the moment of producing the content to customer engagement and the last thing, is it allows them to develop and deploy the websites and marketing campaigns in less time. The agility element of that is very important.”
Kentico offers a number of out of the box components that can be used to build the majority of simple websites, though some level of custom development can be expected to meet specific client requirements. They have a very customizable system architecture that supports multi-site and multi-lingual websites. The built-in translation management module simplifies the tracking of translated content and communication between translation vendors. Kentico EMS edition includes complete eMarketing and eCommerce features, with no additional add-ons required.
- A strong partner network with over 1,000 partners worldwide.
- Based on the feedback from consumers and analysts, they provide an excellent value for the money, offering a full range of capabilities at a low entry cost.
- For non-technical users, the content editing and administration interface is easily learned. There is no need to spend days in a classroom; most editors can be up and running in a matter of a few hours.
- Developers enjoy working with Kentico due to its reliable API and for system administrators, there are a number of powerful application tools in the backend interface that make site management easier. Kentico's rich selection of out of the box web parts, easy customizations, and open API, quickly gets websites operational.
- Building on the success of Version 9, Kentico’s current 10 release brings even more development capabilities to the platform. From expanded MVC and continuous integration support, to drastic performance improvements, Kentico is obviously aiming its guns at the enterprise marketspace.
- Market awareness of Kentico as a horizontal portal is low, even where Kentico is a very good ﬁt.
- While Kentico has a relatively good-sized developer community, they lack a strong marketing community, which is crucial when marketing and IT own the budgets.
- Kentico is lagging behind the leaders in terms of machine learning elements and predictive analytics in their product line, which they do plan to address by the summer of 2017.
Click on the logos above to link to individual vendor reviews or download a PDF of all the top .NET CMS platforms reviewed
< Back to Main Article
WCM Advisory & Support Services
For more information on maximizing your existing WCM system, or for assistance in selecting a new WCM solution, visit our Advisory & Support Services page. Let us help you to prevent problems and maximize a return on investment by guiding you through all the project phases, from analysis and requirements, through to implementation, deployment, and ongoing maintenance.