A Fair Review of the Top .NET CMS Platforms - Progress Sitefinity
< Back to Main ArticleNEW Updated 2018 Sitefinity Review >
Telerik was founded in 2002 by four graduates of American University in Bulgaria and Technical University of Sofia, launching Telerik Sitefinity a few years later. On December 1, 2014 Progress Software, a global software company, acquired Telerik, renaming the WCM platform Progress Sitefinity.
Progress Sitefinity is a content management and marketing analytics platform designed to maximize the agility needed to succeed in today’s rapidly changing digital marketplace. It provides developers and IT teams with the tools they need to support enterprise-level digital marketing, optimizing the customer journey by delivering seamless personalized experiences across different technologies and devices.
In May 2016, Progress announced the release of Progress DigitalFactory, a cloud-based solution to address enterprise needs for digital transformation. WCM plays a pivotal role in the advancement of digital business, and Progress Sitefinity is part of a multi-dimensional digital solution that enables organizations to deliver an omni-channel customer experience by integrating web and mobile. This allows marketers to optimize the customer experience via a single view of that experience, and gives developers the flexibility to develop experiences spanning all channels.
Comments from Progress Sitefinity
“Sitefinity is used by organizations where speed to market is an imperative. Organizations use Sitefinity to quickly deliver compelling customer experiences that cut across different digital touchpoints, including web and mobile. Sitefinity CMS is valued because it is the most user-friendly, productive and extensible offering available. Sitefinity Digital Experience Cloud easily optimizes and improves the customer experience providing personalization and analytics that guides marketing efforts. Sitefinity is part of a larger Progress offering including support for native mobile applications without the complexity and expense of native code.”
Sitefinity is 100% ASP.NET MVC based. Sitefinity has a long history, that is reflected in the large and active developer community. Its early adoption of a drag and drop interface (due to its roots in Telerik) for content and template design has made it one of the easiest WCMs for content editors and administrators to use and learn. Sitefinity comes with a wealth of built-in widgets and UI components that can speed up development time – Kendo UI Professional, UI for ASP.NET AJAX and UI for Silverlight. They have a very customizable system architecture that supports multi-site architecture and web farms.
- Quality of out of the box components and API access has improved significantly since Progress acquired Telerik Sitefinity, which positively reflects a company that is interested in not only meeting marketing needs, but the varied and sometimes complex needs of developers and administrators.
- Creating, managing and publishing content is very easy, offering great out of the box functionality, with very little custom development needed for most SMB customers.
- Now you can easily create add-on packages that can be installed and uninstalled on different Sitefinity instances, allowing for modular development, improved productivity, and increasing the speed in which Sitefinity websites are able to be delivered.
- The transition from Telerik to Progress took some effort for Sitefinity customers and partners to adjust to new licensing models and business practices, but for the most part most of these wrinkles have been ironed out.
- Sitefinity includes basic workflow that can be managed within the administration interface. However, advanced workflows cannot be created without developer resources.
Click on the logos above to link to individual vendor reviews or download a PDF of all the top .NET CMS platforms reviewed
< Back to Main Article
WCM Advisory & Support Services
For more information on maximizing your existing WCM system, or for assistance in selecting a new WCM solution, visit our Advisory & Support Services page. Let us help you to prevent problems and maximize a return on investment by guiding you through all the project phases, from analysis and requirements, through to implementation, deployment, and ongoing maintenance.