A Fair Review of the Top Web CMS Platforms - Kentico
|Head Office: Brno, Czech Republic
|CEO & Tenure: Petr Palas, since June 2004
||Platform Type: ASP .NET
|License Model: On-premise or in the Cloud. You can choose from Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS, such as Amazon Web Services, or AWS, and Microsoft Azure) and Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS, such as Microsoft Azure), or you can create hybrid deployments of the three.
|Starting Price: $4,499.00
||Current Version: 11
|Online Demo: Yes
||Trial Version: Yes
|Customer Training: Yes
||Certification Training: Yes
|Integration Partners: USA – 308, Canada – 42
||Professional Services: Yes
|License Renewals: All Kentico licenses include one year of technical support and product updates, including all major upgrades released during your maintenance period. Renewal and upgrade rates.
|Support: 24/7 live person or email support, 7-Day Bug Fixing Policy, Documentation, Knowledgebase. Kentico also offers Premium Support for clients running mission-critical websites needing guaranteed response and resolution times. A Premium Support contract is valid for one year.
Kentico is an all-in-one CMS, E-commerce, and Online Marketing platform that drives business results for companies of all sizes both on-premise or in the cloud. It gives customers and partners powerful, comprehensive tools and customer-centric solutions to create stunning websites and manage customer experiences easily in a dynamic business environment. The Kentico Web Content Management Solution‘s rich selection of out-of-the-box web parts, easy customizations, and open API, quickly gets websites up and running. When combined with the full set of integrated solutions, including Online Marketing, E-commerce, and Intranet and Collaboration, Kentico fully optimizes the digital customer experience across multiple channels.
Kentico Software, with offices in the United States, United Kingdom and Czech Republic and more than 1,000 partners in 80 countries, helps clients create successful websites, online stores, community sites and intranets using Kentico integrated marketing solution.
Top 10 Features
- Quick & Easy Page Management
- Multilingual Content
- Media Libraries
- Content Personalization
- Marketing Automation
- Advanced Security Management
- Multi-site Management
- GDPR & Data Protection
- Web Analytics
- Azure and Amazon Cloud Support
|Complete List of Features
Key Modules & Connectors
- Built-in e-commerce
- Ucommerce for Kentico
- Intranet & Collaboration
- SharePoint Connector
- Salesforce Integration
- Microsoft Dynamics 365
- Online Communities
- Online Marketing
- Kentico has one of the strongest out-of-box feature-sets in the market. All of the components, widgets, modules and web-parts work with little to no configuration, and have a great reputation of being stable. What is even more impressive is that customers can take advantage of the Enterprise Marketing Suite, and the Commerce Suite to do quite a bit to move further down the customer journey without having to invest in other platforms.
- Kentico has a very strong API that makes it easy to integrate into other technologies. Whether you are looking at creating a web service that can provide hooks into existing platforms, or you are looking to create a two way integration, the task for developers to deliver on time is easier based on the well-defined architecture schema and the documentation that Kentico provides.
- Kentico’s partner channel is constantly evolving, and they are doing a great job in onboarding new partners successfully. They have a very mature process in ensuring partners have access to internal resources to help solve problems, and they understand how to help customers select the right partner for their project.
- Kentico needs to move more of their suite over into MVC, as the breadth of the out-of-box functionality is not available in this format. With the focus for Kentico 12 to have the majority of the product available in MVC, this may turn into a positive.
- Kentico is a suite solution, and tries to compete on a number of fronts within the Martech backbone channel, such as Commerce and Marketing Automation. Although the API that Kentico deploys is very well received, there are marketing and commerce tools that are better established that handle complex digital tasks more effectively. Kentico is behind on adding partnering software options to their channel to allow for the best customer journey, but they have recently begun to move in that direction, and have made some great headway in terms of commerce and usability tools.
- Kentico’s price point is one of the largest differentiators, and will be hard to beat for what you get out-of-the-box.
- One of the most intriguing aspects of Kentico is that it has not been acquired by a larger organization to this point. The architecture team is still intact, and they continue to produce a great and stable product, as well as new products such as Kentico Cloud. While this might seem trivial, they have not had any disruption in their governance or roadmap strategy since their inception, which is why they are constantly able to move the product in a forward direction.
Kentico’s Data Protection app is highly customizable to help you comply with even the strictest data protection regulations, such as GDPR and PII. It can handle right to access, data portability, and right to be forgotten, and even track the consents on your website, helping you avoid unpleasant fines.
Kentico enables its users to respond to demands for personal data deletion from visitors with ease and through Kentico 11’s Data Protection app, you can selectively delete relevant data and comply within the strict deadlines imposed by GDPR and other international data protection regulations. Using the highly customizable Data Protection app, you can provide, upon request, data in machine-readable format. This allows personal data to be exported from one system and imported to another for easy movement of data.
Kentico 12 is currently scheduled for release at the end of November 2018 with a focus of better authoring experience to empower marketers. In the past, content management systems have often been known for providing an interface that only engineers can love. As more marketers adopt these platforms, there is now expectations that systems need to be more intuitive, straightforward, and easy to use. To truly empower marketers to be successful and achieve their goals, Content Management Systems need to provide an authoring experience similar to those in other enterprise platforms, such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
In Kentico 12, they are planning to focus on delivering an incredible authoring experience that will enable marketers to transform the way they work with the content. Through an intuitive, clean, and consistent authoring interface, the next version of Kentico will allow quick actions to be completed, without going through too many steps before performing a task. By reducing training and on-boarding time, Kentico 12 will lead to increased productivity and efficiency.
As digital projects continue to live on for years, organizations need to adapt to new programming techniques and skills to keep up with the changes in technology. ASP.NET Core and MVC has become the go-to solution for web applications, offering companies an efficient and scalable architecture for their projects. MVC enables a truly agile development experience. This widely used methodology provides a pattern-based architecture to build dynamic websites that enable a clean separation of concerns, while giving developers full control over the final markup.
Kentico has always been strong in providing extensibility and a customization model. This pattern has enabled developers to adapt their applications to changing needs. With Kentico 12, we are going down the path to natively support ASP.NET Core MVC application development. Having a pipeline and event-driven architecture provides a lot of options for overriding the platform. In Kentico 12, this is only going to be extended with a new ASP.NET MVC component-based development model that will allow a new wave of MVC project development on the platform.
Additional Video Interviews
Image above from Gartner 2017 WCM MQ Report.
In what ways are you utilizing the platform?
We have been using Kentico for the last 8 years to run 2-consumer sites and a dealer portal. All three sites have multiple integrations with our ERP system and 3rd party systems for leads management. We went through a major redesign 2 years ago to make the consumer sites responsive and multilingual and well as implemented more streamlined document management.
What would you say are your biggest business goals using this platform and in what ways are you seeing results?
Kentico allows us to be able to update our sites in a timely manner by having different users manage different parts of the site as well as increased efficiencies by having all the documents shared from one source. We used to have a problem with manuals being updated on the dealer portal more often than the consumer websites, this is now synced for a single source. The consumer sites are geared towards generating leads, after the site redesign leads were up 28% YOY, even though web traffic was down 18% YOY. We attribute this to several factors, improved user experience, cleaner navigation and better overall content.
— Corina Ursu, Regency Fireplace
Integration Partner Comments
Kentico is one of top four CMS platforms that we implement. More often than not, it is my go to recommendation for clients trying to decide on a new CMS platform that is very easy to use. No CMS is perfect but Kentico offers a great balance between being developer-friendly and user-friendly. Our developers enjoy working with it because the API is reliable and the architecture is flexible. Our clients enjoy working with it because it is easy to use, intuitive and the learning curve is not as steep as with other CMS platforms.
One of the biggest business challenges I hear from our new customers is that they are frustrated with their CMS and are coming to us for help. Either the platform they’re using is overly-complicated or it is too restrictive. Kentico allows us to design solutions that are easy to manage without compromising on capabilities. With Kentico, everything seems possible.
As a product vendor, Kentico's support channels are responsive and the developer community is very active. Kentico continually works to improve the system and their published roadmap means we know where Kentico’s future focus is, allowing us to be proactive in supporting our customer’s needs. We have implemented Kentico for a wide range of B2B, B2C and non-profit industries and a variety of applications such as e-commerce, Intranet portals, globalization that supports numerous languages and digital marketing applications.
— Heather MacFayden, Falcon-Software Company, Inc.
WCM Advisory & Support Services
For more information on maximizing your existing WCM system, or for assistance in selecting a new WCM solution, fill out the form below to have someone from CMSC connect with you to discuss your needs and requirements. Let us help you prevent problems and maximize a return on investment by guiding you through all the project phases, from analysis and requirements, through to implementation, deployment, and support.