A Fair Review of the Top Web CMS Platforms - Sitefinity
|Progress Software Corporation
|Head Office: Bedford, MA
|CEO & Tenure: Yogesh Gupta, since October 2016
||Platform Type: ASP .NET
|License Model: Domain and server-based on perpetual or SaaS subscription
|Starting Price: $15,000.00 (requires quotation process)
||Current Version: 10.2
|Online Demo: Yes
||Trial Version: Yes
|Customer Training: Yes
||Certification Training: Yes
|Integration Partners: USA – 141, Canada – 12
||Professional Services: Yes
|License Renewals: All Sitefinity licenses include one year of technical support and product updates. The renewal rate of all Sitefinity CMS perpetual licenses is 30% of the license list price and subscription licenses are renewable at the same price as the initial annual purchase.
|Support: Consulting, Documentation, Forms, Support Center, Knowledge base, Videos, Webinars, Whitepapers and 24/7 live person support.
Sitefinity offers ease of use for marketers and developers, enabling organizations to get digital initiatives to market fast. Sitefinity is easily extensible and excels in headless or traditional deployment scenarios with a rapid, cost-effective rollout of digital properties, outstanding user experiences and engaged customers.
Progress (NASDAQ: PRGS) offers flexible frontend tooling for delivering an engaging and multi-channel UX, a modern, reliable, scalable and secure backend to build and run microservices, and leading data connectivity capabilities for harnessing data from business systems and any other data source, whether on premise or in the cloud.
Progress customers span the globe and include thousands of ISVs that build their business application offerings on Progress, and tens of thousands of organizations are using Progress to build their own mission-critical applications.
Top 10 Features
- Security & Authentication
- Flexibility and Extensibility
- Open Source Functionality
- Easy Continuous Delivery
- Multilingual Globalization
- Multiple Technologies & Frameworks
- Customer Journey Optimization
- Personalization and Digital Experience
- Extranet and Intranet Capable
- Multisite Management
|Complete List of Features
Key Modules & Connectors
- Built-in e-commerce
- Digital Asset Management
- Salesforce Connector
- MS Dynamics Connector
- Digital Experience Cloud (DEC)
- Telerik Developer Tools
- SharePoint Connector
- Marketo Connector
- Usability of Sitefinity is clean, responsive, and very intuitive. Creating, managing and publishing content is very easy, offering great out of the box functionality, with very little custom development needed.
- The way you build responsive web applications with Sitefinity combined with what Progress brings as an organization, mobility becomes one of its true strengths.
- The platform is multilingual but the multicurrency also comes into play as a key feature.
- Significant effort has been put into the marketing automation modules that Sitefinity features within their marketing suite, which allow for a more complete solution to help businesses move through their customer journey. The newest version allows for deeper analytics that will support customer retention and allow organizations a better means to resell to current customers.
- Sitefinity’s Site Synchronization works very well in moving all types of content from development, staging and production environments, but at this point, there still is not a backend synchronization that allows code and data files to be migrated synchronously through each environment without the use of manually managing the process.
- As Progress is now seriously putting resources, money, and a long-term strategy into the roadmap and longevity of the Sitefinity platform, there will be more time and effort put into wrapping controls, and making them a more seamless experience. But for now, there are some user controls that seem out of place as they were independently made or acquired.
- What Progress does really well is app development providing true native mobile apps, not just responsive web applications. Building a true native mobile app means you can run them anywhere where the data can be served from Sitefinity in more of a headless fashion.
- The work that Sitefinity is doing around cognitive applications and data connectivity in particular, can be transformational both for people that are building websites and interacting with multiple systems in a much different way. By allowing users to express content needs through any device, and have a collection of actions that learn users environments, controls, and behaviors, will allow users to receive the right content at the right time on the right device.
- Sitefinity is based on the MVC Microsoft architecture, and with the integration of Thunder and Feather, allow custom code and design standards to be pushed out to different target environments, with little effort. This makes Sitefinity a very strong contender for organizations that are looking to push data and content to device types in the IOT space.
Over the past year, Sitefinity started to add sets of features to their roadmap that were part of their own compliance and security initiatives that directly supported data regulation and the GDPR. Sitefinity created updates and increased security around their systems to ensure alignment with any GDPR initiatives, then shifted their focus to continually release on the personal data stores, which is highly important to their visual experience cloud and the customer journey. Leveraging expertise they gained from their own internal data regulation and compliance initiatives, Sitefinity enabled customers to utilize their knowledge and capabilities.
Progress Sitefinity really approaches their future outlook in two ways, looking at it from a platform focus and then within from an organizational perspective. At the highest level, they’re concentrated on helping businesses engage with their customers and empower them to do effective business online. This is behind their mission to, as an organization, ask themselves things like, what can we do to ensure the web and the digital touch points that these organizations use Sitefinity for are mission critical? Within Progress as company, their vision is around the future and around cognitive, because they see the future of business as cognitive first and it is that view that drives their improvements to the digital experience cloud, what they are doing with their APIs, the extensibility and how they can best educate their customers and partners about all of this as well.
From a platform aspect, they’re focused on being the leading productivity solution, driving great usability and user experience, leveraging our heritage for being developer friendly and providing the mission critical platform that's best in class for rapid cost effective roll-outs of digital experiences. As for those roll-outs, we can expect a completely reinvented content management experience to enhance the productivity for marketers, a new set of tools to enhance productivity for developers and a continuation of improvements to empower their customers to best harness the core aspect of cloud.
Additional Video Interviews
Image above from Gartner 2017 WCM MQ Report.
Image above from Forrester Wave's Web CMS, 2017.
In what ways are you using the platform?
Protect Your Bubble uses Sitefinity CMS to manage page content, item listing and item pricing. New page designs can be quite easily created, with a bit of CSS to make them responsive. It’s really good for managing & scheduling content go-live, utilizing site sync.
What would you say are your biggest business goals using this platform and in what ways are you seeing results?
Sitefinity allows multiple users to edit whilst also giving a gatekeeper absolute control over what gets published live and when (via site sync). Site sync can deploy content immediately (if needed), is flexible and reliable. The WYSIWYG editor is good, it has enabled users to overcome their fear of HTML. So this encourages users to make changes themselves and some areas, such as a Blog posts, which do not require any technical support. The platform is flexible enough so that we can design new features based on the current faculties. To “build it in Sitefinity” has become a way of suggesting it’ll be done well.
— Joseph Aram, Protect Your Bubble
Integration Partner Comments
Sitefinity is one of the most user friendly CMS products on the market, which is why we recommend it to organizations that have an active marketing group. Since Progress has taken ownership of the product, there have been great advancements in areas that support digital ecosystems that want to pursue heavy integration into other platforms, and move into new areas such as IoT and Machine Learning based data analysis. For organizations that are looking for an easy and intuitive user experience with lots of out-of-the-box enterprise features, and with a price point that rivals more expensive software, this is a perfect fit. This product is also built with an MVC based approach so integration with other software and hardware is one of the most compelling reasons to work with Sitefinity.
— Stephen Medve, Falcon-Software Company, Inc.
WCM Advisory & Support Services
For more information on maximizing your existing WCM system, or for assistance in selecting a new WCM solution, fill out the form below to have someone from CMSC connect with you to discuss your needs and requirements. Let us help you prevent problems and maximize a return on investment by guiding you through all the project phases, from analysis and requirements, through to implementation, deployment, and support.